The City of Valley Falls will strive to assist you with your construction project in an efficient and accountable manner. They are responsible for permitting all construction projects.
The City Administrator is responsible for:
- Issuing building permits
- Reviewing building plans
- Working directly with the Planning and Zoning Commission
To obtain a permit for both residential and commercial uses, simply download the form below or give us a call and we will be happy to provide you with the necessary forms.
Permit Fees - Based upon the total price of the project, per $1,000. $25 for the first $1,000, then $2 dollars for each additional $1,000 thereafter.
Construction Fees - The following charges are for connecting to the city's water and sewer mains, this is for new construction, these fees are non-refundable.
- New construction fee for water is $750.00.
- New construction fee for sewer is $500.00.
Common Requests - If you don't frequently apply for building permits, the process of obtaining one can feel complicated. Below is a couple of examples of common requests that the City receives:
Variance Request: After reviewing the planning and zoning regulations (found here), and have determined that you cannot meet setback or other requirements, you have the option to submit a variance request. This process goes as follows:
1. Submit building permit application with information of what regulations you are seeking an exception for.
2. Staff will review your application with variance requests. After reviewing, staff will schedule a meeting with the Board of Zoning Appeals (same commission, different name). Once a meeting date has been set, staff will publish the meeting in the newspaper. After the day of publication, 28 days must pass prior to when the Board of Zoning Appeals can take action on your variance request.
3. The Board of Zoning Appeals will review your variance request and make a final determination. Remember, submitting an application is no guarantee of receiving approval. So, make sure that you include all information possible.
4. Depending on the Board of Zoning Appeals decision, you will be able to break ground on your project immeaditely, as long as all procedures have been met.
Conditional Use Permit Request: After reviewing the planning and zoning regualtions, including the zoning map (found here), you might have a situation where the desired project does not meet land-use regulations. If you find your property in this situation, you have the option to submit a conditional use request. This process goes as follows:
1. Submit building permit application with information of what land-use restrictions you are seeking an exception for.
2. Staff will review your application and conditional use request. After reviewing, staff will schedule a hearing with the Planning and Zoning commission. Once a hearing date has been set, staff will publish in the newspaper. After the day of publication, 28 days must pass prior to when the Planning and Zoning Commission can hear the conditional use permit request.
3. In addition to publishing in the newspaper, all neighboring property owners within 300 feet must be notified of the proposed project. This step of the process gives neighbors, who could be potentially impacted by the project, a chance to review the project and submit a complaint for the Planning and Zoning Commission and the City Council.
4. At the date of the hearing, the individual(s) submitting the request will have the opportunity to address the Planning and Zoning Commission. Once the Commission has reviewed all relevant information, they will make a recommendation to the City Council, either in favor or opposed.
5. At the very next regular City Council meeting, the Council will review all information regarding the request and the recommendation from the Planning and Zoning Commission. All citizens have the opportunity to address this request during public comment. Once all information has been considered, the Council will make a final decision.
6. Depending on the City Council's decision, you will be able to break ground on your project that day.
For all other questions, please feel free to contact City Administrator